Friday, July 31, 2009

Long Legged Sac Spider (Cheiracanthium sp.)

click for large

I found this guy on my bedroom ceiling. A lot less menacing than it looks, probably only 3/8 of an inch including legs.

Several reports classify these spiders as possibly harmful, but real study shows their bites are not poisonous or necrotic to humans.

Raynox DCR-150 and Raynox DCR-250 stacked and mounted on my Panasonic Lumix FZ8. I used a simple paper plate as a flash diffuser for the lighting. Worked out very well if you ask me.

4 comments:

  1. I bought a house 2number yrs ago and we are still fighting these little demons! My son, who is almost 3 has been bitten twice. The area swells and isI quite painful. They hide in the space between the wall and celing, waiting for prey. They do drop on people and animals. We have found them all through the house but mainly at night time. I am ready to move snd let them have the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6years ago I was bitten by one... Didn't turn out so well. It wasn't bad but I was in the hospital for a day (which I hated). They knew right away what it was because I wasn't the only one that this has happened to. Apparently, it was a "rare allergic reaction"... Which i find hard to believe if it is THAT common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly feel like the spider in my kitchen window is a Sac spider but im not sure. Ive been scrolling for it but only the sac spider looks like the one in my window

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have them all over my house, I haven’t been bitten by them yet but they spread webs fast and multiply fast. I have killed at least 3/4 spiders everyday for the past 6 years. As soon as I’m done with this house, I will move on a island.

    ReplyDelete